A Short Circuit analysis is used to determine the magnitude of short circuit current the system is capable of producing and compares that magnitude with the interrupting rating of the overcurrent protective devices (OCPD)
The application of three or four fundamental concepts of circuit analysis will derive the basic nature of short circuit currents. These concepts will be stated and utilized in a step-by-step development.
Performing a Short Circuit Study provides the following benefits:
- Reduces the risk a facility could face and help avoid catastrophic losses.
- Increases the safety and reliability of the power system and related equipment.
- Evaluates the application of protective devices and equipment.
- Identifies problem areas in the system.
- Identifies recommended solutions to existing problems.